TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Re: The jwt kit isn't functionally different than the z1 kit
People Seeking Info

Subject Re: The jwt kit isn't functionally different than the z1 kit

Posted by Kvert on October 08, 2014 at 10:29 PM
  This message has been viewed 323 times.

In Reply To The jwt kit isn't functionally different than the z1 kit. posted by TriniTT on October 07, 2014 at 07:39 PM

Message reposting since ipad took my typing as a post button.

Let me step you through my process/experience.

I bought a set of new style injectors and inspected them including the caps, which were all on tight. No play at all. I installed viton orings that I bought from Z1. I lubed all orings with vaseline before installing the adapter kit. Installed adapter kit by twisting and pushing injectors in place. All injectors snapped right in and the caps were pressed right up against the adapter base. Very tight, but no movement of the caps at all. I was a bit concerned the adapters might have been putting a bit of pressure on the caps to push them off, but they held firm so I installed them in the fuel rail with plenty of vasoline. No issues and everything went smoothly.

6 months later. Cylinder #6 is flooded to hell with gas. Pulled the plenum and fuel rail to find that the corresponding injector had the oring protruding out between the gap between the injector and adapter piece and nearly pushed the injector cap off. Test fitting the injector cap back on revealed that it barely stayed on, so into the trash it went. Checked all other injector caps and they all check out and were nice and firm against the adapters still. Chalked the issue to install problem and bought a new oring set and new injector cap. Reinstalled injector #6 and moved on. No other injectors, besides #6, were removed from the fuel rail during the repair.

1 month later I have same issues and find that this time cylinder #1 and #5 spark plugs are soaked in gas. Pulled plenum and fuel rail to find injector #5 oring popping out and pushed the injector cap nearly off similar to my first instance. injector #1 appeared ok (no oring protrusion or injector cap coming off), but was obviously leaking due to the wet plugs I found. This time I found it unlikely to be an install issue especially after reading ttz'ins response with similar problems. I contacted Z1 and described the occurances and they gave me an RMA number to return them and the orings (store credit only) for inspection and analysis. Since the JWT adapters had good reviews, I bought a set as well as new OEM orings and new 4 prong injector caps from Mr. Injector (The injector caps popped off during removal of the adapters so I decided to replace them).

I will note that when I took the orings off they felt significantly more rubbery and pliable then when installed new. Z1 indicated this was not an issue.

Unless there's a trick to install that just isn't documented anywhere, something special about installing on a 93 vert, or I'm the 1-in-a-million case of obscenely high fuel pressure, I can't see what I've done wrong.

TriniTT, at no point in installation or repair did I ever reuse an injector cap that came off an injector. I only mentioned it to provide an indication of the damage the oring popping out did to the injector cap. I will say that I was a little taken back by the gap between the injector and adapter with the injector cap off. It was large enough for me to push the oring back up in place. I think a good design would have a narrower gap combined with the existing taper in the adapter such that the oring seats/wedges itself between just the injector and adapter.

I did take some pictures of the oring pop I can send you if you'd like to see the damage.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.